Visitors Center |
Contact us

The biological process

wastewater treatment-wastewater treatment

The biological process

The activated sludge process is the principal biological treatment process in the plant. Its function is to remove dissolved organic materials from the wastewater.

  • The process is based on a very high concentration of microbes that decompose the organic material in the wastewater and convert it into carbon dioxide and water. The high microbe count is maintained by re-circulating the microbes into the process from the secondary sedimentation basins (clarifiers).
  • The activated sludge process takes place in the plant in three large aeration basins, divided into three secondary basins (see picture).
  • One of the basins is an older one that was constructed during the first upgrade of the plant. This basin has an area of 3,720 m² with four mixers and eight aerators having a total output of 540 kW.
  • The other two basins were constructed during the second plant upgrade. Each of these has an area of 4,824 m², and each has four mixers and eight aerators having a total output of 1,320 kW.
  • The microbes require aeration in order to provide them with oxygen with which they decompose the organic material in an aerobic respiration process.
  • The basins are, as noted, aerated with a large number of electrically-operated surface aerators, which operate automatically in accordance with the oxygen levels required in the water.
  • Treatment in the activated sludge basins brings about a total reduction of about 98% in the concentration of organic material decomposed biologically (BOD) and a total reduction of about 98% in the concentration of suspended solids in the raw sewage. In other words, the wastewater leaving this process contains only about 2% of the contaminants contained in it prior to its discharge into the treatment plant.
  • The wastewater is kept in the activated sludge process for about 10 hours and is then discharged into the secondary clarifiers.

Biological process – activated sludge


This website use cookies to improve site functionality, provide you with a better browsing experience, and to enable our partners to advertise to you.

Detailed information on the use of cookies on this Site, and how you can decline them, is provided in our cookie policy.

By using this Site or clicking on “I agree”, you consent to the use of cookies.


  • גודל פונטים

מקרא נגישות

לתאימות מלאה יש להשתמש בדפדפנים כרום ופיירפוקס
למעבר בין אלמנטים בדף לחץ על מקש ה - Tab, לחזרה אחורה לחץ על צרוף המקשים - Shift + Tab

בכלי נגישות זה ניתן לבצע מספר דברים

  • - להחליף צבעוניות של האתר במחלקת הצבעוניות
  • - להגדיל ולהקטין פונטים ללא שבירות עיצוביות
  • - להדגיש כותרות ולינקים בקו מתאר תחתון
  • - ניתן גם לעבוד מקלדת בלבד ולגלוש באתר
  • - ניתן להפעיל מסמך ללא עיצוב כלל
  • - ניתן לאפס הכול לברירת המחדל

ניתן להגיע למקומות עיקריים בקלות ע"י צירופי המקשים הנ"ל

  • ESC מאפס את האינדקס של המסמך ומציב אותו בתפריט ניווט מהיר
  • ALT + i – כיבוי והדלקת מידע זה
  • ALT + m – מעבר מהיר לתפריט הנגישות
  • ALT + s – מעבר לתפריט ניווט מהיר
  • ALT + 1 – חזרה לדף הבית
  • ALT + 2 – מעבר לתפריט הראשי
  • ALT + 3 – מעבר לתוכן המרכזי בעמוד
  • ALT + 4 – מעבר לחיפוש כללי
  • ALT + 5 – מעבר לדף יצירת קשר

במידה ועוברים בין דפים באתר המידע לגבי הבחירות שביצענו נשמר וממשיך עם הגולש אל הדף הבא